What should I name THE SHADOW fanedit?

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Next Project: The Shadow (1994)

Ok, so I actually have several fan-edits in progress:

  • ALIEN 3.5 - I'm blending ALIEN 3 and ALIEN 4, using deleted scenes, etc.
  • JACOB'S LADDER - I love this film, basically as is. I think it's under-appreciated and damn scary. The 'twist' ending is a little obvious and the very end has a cheese factor, but still a great film. Ever since I saw the deleted scenes I felt that they strengthened an already great film, so I'm going to add them back in and make a few tweaks here and there.
But those are on hold while I finish my next project, THE SHADOW. First of all, I love the Shadow as a character and have since I was a kid. I have all of the OTR (old time radio) broadcasts from the 1930s and have collected the comics. Needless to say, I was excited when the movie came out & saw it in the theater. I enjoyed it, but after the excitement wore off I was left feeling disappointed. Upon later viewings I realized that it just wasn't very good.

The Positives? Great set design and costumes, decent casting, and solid cinematography.

Negatives: Some very clunky special effects now and then...and an uneven tone. The movie tried to be dark and 'fun'. And while (and I may be alone in this) Alec Baldwin and John Lone did a decent job delivering some snappy dialogue and straddling the transitions between campy comic characters and conflicted hero and villain, no other character is anything other than a stock plot device.

So, there isn't any additional material available, as far as I know...so I'm going to trim some of the dumber parts out and focus onre-arranging some of the scenes.

Also, I'm going to covert it to black & white, add in some different music (including the old radio theme, Le rouet d'Omphale ), and see where that goes.

I'll posts some screenshots and maybe make a trailer, more updates soon...

No comments: